In this section
In this section you can also view:
These are our principle documents and statements that show our role, responsibilities, progress, outcomes and goals:
- Pae Ora (Healthy Futures) Act 2022
- Te Aka Whai Ora Establishment plan
- Te Aka Whai Ora Statement of intent
- Te Aka Whai Ora Statements of performance expectations
- Te Aka Whai Ora Quarterly reports
- Waka Hourua Kawenata - Our Ways Of Working Together
- Action plan in response to Hauora Māori Advisory Committee report
Pae Ora (Healthy Futures) Act 2022
The Pae Ora (Healthy Futures) Act 2022 is the basis of Aotearoa New Zealand's health reforms that took effect on 1 July 2022, establishing three new entities:
- Te Aka Whai Ora Māori Health Authority as an independent statutory authority to drive improvement in hauora Māori
- Te Whatu Ora Health New Zealand as the national organisation to lead and coordinate delivery of health services across the country
- A new Public Health Agency within Manatū Hauora Ministry of Health to lead and strengthen public health.
The Act also establishes Iwi-Māori partnership boards that represent local Māori perspectives on the needs and aspirations of whānau Māori with respect to planning and decision-making for health services at the local level.
Te Aka Whai Ora Establishment plan
This establishment plan sets out the initial structures, which were in place from Day 1 (1 July 2022), and demonstrates how, in partnership with Te Whatu Ora Health New Zealand, Te Aka Whai Ora intends to give effect to the waka hourua approach to co-design and co-commissioning for the new health system.
Te Aka Whai Ora Statement of intent
This Statement of intent describes our strategic goals, what we intend to achieve or contribute to, and promote public accountability.
This document reflects:
- our legal responsibilities and operating framework, including functions and vision
- our strategic intentions and objectives for the next four years.
Te Aka Whai Ora Statement of performance expectations
The Statements of performance expectations explain how we’ll assess and report on our performance as we work towards our strategic goals and sets out our planned outputs for each financial year.
These documents sets out:
- our goals and proposed performance targets for the next year
- our forecast financial information.
Te Aka Whai Ora Quarterly reports
These Quarterly reports show progress since the establishment Te Aka Whai Ora (since its launch on 1 July 2022), and the subsequent delivery of its strategic objectives:
1 January – 30 June 2023
1 October – 31 December 2022
1 July – 30 September 2022
Waka Hourua Kawenata - Our Ways Of Working Together
This agreement called Waka Hourua Kawenata, is held between the Boards of Te Aka Whai Ora and Te Whatu Ora, and outlines the commitment to working together, in keeping with the aspirations of the Pae Ora Act.
Hauora Māori Advisory Committee
The Hauora Māori Advisory Committee completed a high-level assessment of Te Aka Whai Ora and progress against Cabinet expectations, commitments, and priorities in May 2023.
More information about the Hauora Māori Advisory Committee, including the Hauora Māori Advisory Committee Report is available at the link below.
In response to this report, Te Aka Whai Ora implemented an Action Plan, which addresses the recommendations made: